Sunday, April 17, 2011

Reconnecting with Ed Pressman fellow College Classmate after all these Years

Ed and I had not seen each other for nearly 50 years since the days we both graduated from Columbia College in New York City.

(It's not fair to say we had been incommunicado for all that time. Ed had acted as Class-correspondent for Columbia College Today, from 1987-2001 and so he kept a steady stream of communications flowing my way)

So, it was a delightful experience reconnecting with Ed Pressman at UConn Stamford last month to hear Columbia History Professor Eric Foner discuss President Lincoln's early views on slavery.

How did Ed and I reconnect? Ed located me on facebook, was piqued by one of the projects I have been nurturing and rang me up to see if he could write a blog for our magazine. This was about a year ago.

We quickly caught up on our lives and agreed to get together sometime after the Easter/Passover Holidays. Well time passed and before I knew it, we were into 2011.

Then I happened to get an email about Professor Foner's coming to Stamford in March of this year. Remembering that Ed was an American History, Political Science major, I instinctively phoned him up and sure enough we were finally able to connect. It turns out that Ed knew Professor Foner from our Columbia days back in the 60's and brought his two latest books for autographing.

After the Foner lecture (which I summarized in an earlier blog), Ed and I went out for a snack at a downtown cafe and further caught on our lives.




No comments: