Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Small Acts of Kindness Build Bridges: Oradell, New Jersey

My blog of October 7th introduced World Smile day...to bring about world harmony by acts of kindness.

Indeed, opportunities arise every day to put smiles on people's faces.

Why just yesterday, my car was being filled up with gas at the Delta station on Kinderkemack Road in River Edge, New Jersey (a state that mandates service station attendants fill 'er up). Two attendants were tending to my car. One took my credit card and the other put the hose to my tank.

Now isn't that service that can put a smile on your face. (Besides, gas is nearly 50 cents a gallon cheaper here than in my state, where I must do the pumping.)

Here in New Jersey not only do I have just one attendant--I've got two. This reminds me of a memorable experience I had at Toyota of Stamford when I went to have a battery replacement done under warranty.

Toyota Logo

(As I was being checked in at 8AM, the service manager asked me to pop the the hood. As soon as I did so, five immaculately clothed mechanics appeared, as if by magic, and each they began serially to check vital fluids windshield washer, brake oil, engine transmission oil and radiator anti-freeze.)

Well, I am briefly digressing to make my point about bringing smilers to people's faces.

As I am about to drive away here in Oradell, one of the attendants asks me if I driving one mile north and I nod . "Come on in," I respond.

As we drive north, I learn that his name his Sieni and is a native Punjabi. (Punjab, he explains, is the disputed territory that lies between India and Pakistan) He tells me he is permanently settled here while his family is back there. His wife works in 'nearby' India and will join him in two months when she retires from her job.

Sieni asks me if I am still working and I respond affirmatively. We discuss the importance of having family near you.

Though I am driving, I notice that he is dressed in a turban, sports a beard on his dark skin and is quite conversant in English.

I drop him off in Oradell; he thanks me and I wish him good luck.

Now isn't that a pleasant tale to promote good will and understanding and to create smilers for all us humble 'journeymen'?

No comments: