Monday, October 25, 2010

October is a Month of Doing Small Deeds

This October has been an unusual month for me.

It started off with my heralding it as an eleemosynary month-- a month of giving to others.

So far, five notable members of our local modern orthodox temple have been bereaved.

This has given me an opportunity of visiting the various mourners who are observing Shiva (the custom of mourners to sit on low chairs to show respect for the deceased, for 7 days)

It is also customary to hold prayer services thrice daily for a week following burial, excluding holidays and the sabbath, at the home of the mourners.

So, I have been showing up for various minyanim (a gathering of ten Jewish men which ensures that the memorial kaddish prayer can be recited during the service) for the last 3 weeks.

It has been a month of giving of my time, my sympathy, my comfort and prayer to ease the pain of each one's loss.

And the process continues tomorrow as I lead a service to commemorate the passing on of my maternal grandfather 59 years ago.

Maria Sharapova once did commercials for Canon during the US Open a number of years ago.
She kept hammering away with her catchy slogan: "Make every shot a power shot."

Maria Sharapova , age 17, playing the power game at Wimbledon, 2004.
She bested Serena Williams 6-1,6-4 to win her first Grand Slam Trophy
photo courtesy of Wikipedia

To paraphrase, I add, "Make every day a power day for you...by doing a small act of kindness for others in need."

And witness the results in your life

Have a great day--every day!




No comments: