Monday, March 11, 2019

My Old Grey Lady Goes Digital: Saying Goodbye to the Print Edition of the New York Times

The Old Grey Lady

It was a bold decision when made.

I have never thought I would make the move---

About two weeks ago I traded my daily subscription to the print edition of the New York Times for the digital one.

Why have I done so at this time?

First I am on overload with daily print news media. Besides the New York Times, I have read and still read the Wall Street Journal and also our hometown daily, the Stamford Advocate---all cover to cover. This routine is  overwhelming as I am constantly playing catch-up and nearly always feel behind the eight ball.

Why the overload?

I have always felt it necessary to stay on top of the news---growing up in a family that always had the Times delivered daily and where we all were expected to be up on the latest news. And just recently I led a biweekly discussion of current events for seniors in our community--making it necessary for me to up on international, national and local news.

In addition, I have always been a 'print'  man who has always enjoyed the tangible hard copy book or daily rag in my hand --spanning my careers as English major, college and high school English and science teacher, print advertising/space sales, then publisher of Brooklyn Community Magazine.

Of course, there are other online news sources such as Huffingtonpost, Politico, Drudgereport, the Daily Mail, The Hill, etc. besides my New York Times online subscription.

I will miss the display ads and the daily and Sunday crossword puzzles in the print edition.

Stay tuned as I further assess my decision.

No comments: