Saturday, March 1, 2014

Does Woody Allen's blockbuster Blue Jasmine movie dialogue play truer than life?

In this scene Hal (played by Alec Baldwin), a convicted Wall Street fraud, and notorious womanizer tells his spoiled wife Jasmine (played by Kate Blanchett)  that he has fallen for another woman. Here is a dialogue clip from this scene which takes place in their library.

Jasmine confronts her husband Hal
about reports he has been having an affair
 with Lycette Boudreau an au pair

Hal:  Lycette and I are in love.

Jasmine:  What?  Are you crazy?

H:  I'm sorry, but I need you to hear what I'm saying to you. Lycette and I are in love.

J: What does that mean, what does that stupidity even mean?

H: It means that we are making plans for the future together.

J: I'm sorry I'm...I'm  having trouble understanding.

H: I know this comes as a shock,  but I have to be honest with you.

J: You want to be honest!!!  That's the biggest joke of all. (clearly upset, she pours herself a drink.)

H: I've had casual flirtations in the past, but they didn't mean anything to me, until now. This is different!

J: Are you out of your mind?  She is a a teenager for christ sake (she turns around from the bar and exclaims) She's an au pair. I mean are you crazy? (wringing her hair)

H:  Jesus Christ This is hard for me to to tell you.

J: This is hard for you. What about me? This is so humiliating for me. It's bad enough that everyone knows you have been unfaithful, but to just  throw me away for this stupid looking  little French______ (garbled expletive).
    .



 

No comments: