Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lease Car Registration Renewal at Connecticut DMV: Second Time Around

The first time around I called DMV to inform them that I have a lease car whose lease ends next summer. Therefore, I explained to the friendly state employee, why should I pay for two years when I would be turning the car in less than 12 months.

She put me on hold and when she returned asked me if I were a senior.

When I replied in the affirmative, she said send back the form with a check for  1/2 of the $85 fee.

I immediately sent back the fee and form with a notation 'senior' and thought the matter was finished.

10 days later, I received a letter from my lease company with a form from  CT DMV  saying that my registration is not complete. You still owe us $42.

Of course, I am flabbergasted. What's going on here?

Second time around.

So, I call up CT DMV and after a 10 minute wait to speak with a rep. I  inform  Kevin what has transpired. He puts me on hold and  when he returns explains to me that I must submit the balance of $42.

The senior 'exception' applies only to those who own their cars, he explains  Lease car registrants must pay the two year amount and when the plates are turned into DMV, must apply for a refund.

After the lease terminates, you might decide to buy the car says Kevin.

Funny thing, I have had two prior lease cars--each of the other two for a 39 month lease, have turned the plates in and have never received a refund.

The highlight of my second time around is Kevin telling  me you don't come across over the phone  as if you are  a senior- you sound much much younger. Most seniors I deal with speak much slower.

Thanks for the compliment.

 But get your act together CT DMV!  Your rules don't make sense1




No comments: