Monday, December 20, 2010

Apple/ Macintosh Magazines Rule the Roost at Borders in Stamford


I just made a quick trip for a strong dose of java at the Borders store on High Ridge in Stamford adjacent to The Chase Bank and the High Ridge Shopping Center off exit 35 on the Merritt.

Borders is my cafe of choice in the North Stamford area for many reasons. (It's not my intention to bore you with what makes the j experience at Borders so enjoyable) In short they have a bold strong brew of Seattle's Best and it's the natural buzz from the j --and not lots of people milling about-- that gives me my mid-morning high.

What made my short stay so enjoyable --10 minutes in all- was a brief visit to the huge seven panel magazine display.

Though my interest has been running lately to Harpers, Atlantic Monthly and New Yorker magazines, today what caught my eye was the computer section. And here one finds a panoply of the magazines that are touting apps and software; taking all this in overwhelmed me. There were perhaps 35-50 in all.

What I discovered is that Apple- centered publications rule the roost.

I counted no less than 13 different publications that focus on Apple products. Here are just a few of them that dominate the wall closest to the cafe: iPhone Handbook (a MacLife presentation), MacWorld (the Ultimate Mac Buyers Guide), MacWorld, MacBook Volume 6, Mac for Beginners (icreatemagazine.com), Apps Magazine (New for iPhone, iPad and iPod), iPhone and iPad, The Essentials Volume 2 and MacLife No. 48.

I did, however spot two android app magazines--so Steve Jobs and Company have some developing competition....







No comments: