Monday, December 16, 2013

3717 and still counting: Reverse syncing the ipod Classic and Rediscovering two musical giants : Pablo Rosenberg and the recently departed Hank Jones (1918-2010).

The ipod Classic with 80 gigs of memory

Milestones need to be publicized and celebrated.


So, why is this such a monumental event for me??

Two years ago, two cyber events happened just about simultaneously,

My 5 year old PC crashed as did my ipod. No problem for the PC.  I simply purchased a new one at Staples. However, it's not a simple matter when a carefully selected  collection of 3717 songs-suddenly disappears.

The collection was 5 years in the making... and I had good reason to be upset.

So, I invested a few dollars in an ipod recovery program and several hours later had my original 3717 back on board. One small problem arose: several albums came up as file/digital  numbers rather than as the usual analog/ letter signatures. Oh, well I could always go to my itunes library on the pc and id the elusive Pablo Rosenberg...an outstanding balladeer who serenades us in both his native Spanish and Hebrew.
Pablo Rosenberg in concert
Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

So, now I being serenaded (on a you tube playlist) by Pablo and Shlomi Shabat  in their memorable La Ultima Noche and I highly recommend you discover this fabulous entertainer as I did over 10 years ago.

Miles Davis (followed by John Coltrane) is by far my favorite entertainer, judging by the number of singles of his on my Classic--close to 200 and still counting--representing about 5% of my digital library storage.

Hank Jones on piano
Courtesy of Wikipedia

Buried in the 3717 is one group, a gem of a trio, I had nearly forgotten. Its the Great Jazz Trio led by the awesome Hank Jones on piano  accompanied by Ron Carter on bass and Tony Williams (1945-1997) on drums. Tony was a very young member of the Miles Davis band in the early 1960's.
Ron Carter Bass 
Courtesy of Wikipedia

The album I am listening to is At the Village Vanguard Again. Though recorded in the late 70's, it was not released until the digital age. Each of the five plays is a gem-- a model of loose, freewheeling, lilting uplifting, ever expanding rhythms.

Tony Williams, Drummer
Courtesy of www.lastfm

Each player is an outright star in his own right, yet when they combine, it is as if the rhythm of threesome is magnified three fold. The five I uploaded include: Hi-Fly, Sophisticated Lady, Softly As in a A Morning Sunrise, Wave and My Funny Valentine.

Kudo's to three classy classsics: Apple's ipod Classic and  two classical entertainers of the musical world:  Pablo Rosenberg and Hank Jones

Hail to the CLASSIC,












No comments: