Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Why I Blog? Serendipity, of course, from September Fashion Magazines to Taschen's Gustav Klimt edited by Tobias G. Natter

Front Cover of Taschen's book:  Gustav Klimt, The Complete Paintings 

Here is the exciting part of blogging--the serendipity of discovering one's passions, one's  likes and dislikes.

It is early on a Monday morning and I begin my day first with some tea --a perfect blend of raspberry and green teas.

 I have at least  FIVE  blogging subjects--PRIORITIZED-- that are beckoning me.

I begin with the first one, a discussion of the September phenomenon in the women's fashion world that begins with the ad-laden issues of Vogue, Elle, InStyle, Harper's Bazaar, WSJ., (The Wall Street Journal Magazine) and The New York Times Style Magazine.

(My daughter is interning for a PR firm that is covering Fashion Week and she is  is texting --several times daily -- photos of herself  'modeling' different outfits-- though ostensibly she was 'hired' to supervise other interns and write press releases. Maya also appeared on front covers of Brooklyn's Communty Magazine--a hint to my fascination with style as well as content in print media.)

I am not that thrilled by the task ahead: it's easy, but dull to find online the number of ad pages in the top finishers: Vogue at 663 and  Elle at 442.  Combined that's well over 1,000 pages.

Thus, one could conclude emphatically that print is not dead.

 Without much enthusiasm, I then apply myself to the rather mundane task of counting the number of ad pages in WSJ. (78) and skim over the articles. 

To break the boredom, I head into the kitchen to brew a cup of java--and while there, I espy an XL format (11.5 x 15.5 in., 659 pp.) Taschen release of Gustav Klimt edited by Tobias Natter.

The book is captivating to the eye and senses- a rare treasure of 659 pages weighing over 20 pounds.

The tome is the strongest comment on the enduring power of  a monumental Austrian artist (Gustav Klimt 1862-1918) who knew how to paint the most sensuous portraits of beautiful Viennese aristocratic ladies.

One such lady was Adele Bloch Bauer. whose  portrait graces the walls of the Neue Galerie in New York City.

So, to my amazement, I am sidetracked  by the Klimt book whose praises I would love to sing in a blog: its many full page plates, foldouts and blowups found throughout.

Hallelujah for blogging by an acolyte. 

No comments: