Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Dick Wolf's first novel, The Intercept, is a winner



Two points worth noting, dear reader.

First, this book captivated me from the start and I could not put it down, literally 'consuming' it in two sittings.

Secondly, though I have not met Dick Wolf--as I read his first novel and followed his detailed descriptions of Manhattan's Chelsea district, midtown  and East Sides --I kept telling myself here's a guy I am going to have to meet sometime, someplace, somehow...

I felt he's sharing a part of me that I already know.

This book won't disappoint you.

It begins with an attempted hijack of a NYC bound flight by a bungling true believer and his subjugation by a group of six passengers, who become national heroes.

It is the week of July 4th and NYC is getting ready to celebrate the dedication of the World Trade Center's Ground Zero Memorial where the Six are to be honored.

Enter the book's hero Jeremy Fisk an NYPD detective who is recruited into the JTTF (joint terrorism task force) investigation.

Without disclosing the plot,  I'll only mention that Fisk and his female assistant Krina Gersten smell a rat and dedicate their energies to tracking down a Saudi passenger (one of the Six) who they implicate in a terrorist attack to sabotage the July 4th celebration at Ground Zero.

How they use one of  the latest techniques --steganography--(see page 72)--to track down one man in over 10 million residents of the city is fascinating; I won't spoil the fun.

This book is guaranteed to keep you on edge and you will have vignettes that feature Osama bin Laden , NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg, President Obama and even NBC's Matt Lauer.

So enjoy the fun and let me hear your description of the experience.

Meanwhile, welcome Dick Wolf to the art of spinning a great tale!

I look forward to your next novel in the Fisk series.

No comments: