Friday, January 14, 2011

What were You doing on Tuesday January 11, 2011 at 1:11 AM: Part One

Gene Chizik, Head Coach of the Auburn Tigers
Picture Courtesy of the Daily Stab

I know what I was doing-and not dreaming-but, what were You up to?

And anyway who cares?

It's not as if the time was as significant as 9/11/01 at 8:51 AM?

Or, perhaps these numbers have some, albeit a minor, importance for the direction of our individual lives.

So here goes!

The big BCS championship game between Auburn and Oregon was played earlier. Unfortunately, I crashed early that evening and awoke too late to catch the actual game.

Instead, I woke up to watch the post-game entertainment and had the privilege of hearing both coaches being interviewed.

Yes, listen to (and watch, if possible) these two coaches Gene Chizik of Auburn and Chip Kelly of Oregon in their own words--and perhaps, you, too, will pick up just how humble--extremely humble--relaxed and appreciative these guys are.

Here's Gene first:

"You know winning a national championship for the Auburn family [Family-all In is the school motto) is really, if I probably tried to describe it--I would cheapen it a lot....It really hasn't set in like it will hopefully as we move forward.

...To sit at a table with a bunch of young guys [all interviewed by the press] that week in and week out did every single thing we asked them to do, every week...things that defied all odds that people told them they couldn't do.

That's the satisfaction of the moment I have right now.

Just being the leader of great men is overwhelming for me."

By the way, Auburn defeated Oregon 22-19 by scoring on a field goal as time was running out! This is Auburn's first national title since 1957.

Read my next blog for Part two of my 1:11 AM blog on Oregon coach Kelly's reaction to losing.

No comments: