Monday, January 3, 2011

Eleven Memorable and Transformative Events for the Decade that was: The First Two Events Begin with the Loss of Life at the Twin Towers


Wow... We are here at the threshold of a new decade, but, in retrospect--what a powerful learning decade the prior one has been-- counting up from 2001 to 2010!

We all have our self-revelatory, one might say poignant moments, that haunt us, that cause us to meditate on their meaning, often profound meaning that has shaped and continues to shape the choices and directions of our life.

These are moments that we instinctively feel and then perhaps know are transformative in some way. Here are some of mine:

1. 9/11 occurred as I was driving up to Suffern, NY along the Palisades Parkway. My radio station was tuned to WINS 1010 when the news was suddenly interrupted with a flash report that the first of two Twin Towers was on fire with uncorroborated reports of a plane collision.

I pulled over to a rest stop along the Hudson River to to see smoke emanating from lower NY.

Little did I know how this seminal event would change the course of my life.

2. Two days later, I was calling on prospective customers (cold calling) for an east coast private gourmet food service company in upscale Tenafly, New Jersey. I was thrown into a state of shock. Each of two teenagers --in adjacent homes-- answered the doorbell only to tell me the breadwinner in each had not been home in 2 days (whereabouts unknown somewhere in lower Manhattan).

I walked back to my vehicle entered the cab and began to cry. I could not work for the next 3 days--so strong were my emotions.

So, the first event was watching the tragedy from afar-- as if I was using binoculars to peer down the Hudson River. ("Something is happening but you don't know what is...do you Mister Jones?" Bob Dylan: The Ballad of a Thin Man)

The second event made me a close-up-- and thus a personal-- eyewitness to the dire, baleful effects of these dastardly acts of terrorism upon the young innocent lives of the those who unwittingly became victims themselves through their loss of their dear ones.

More to follow..... So continue to tune in. The saga only gets more interesting





















I had personally witnessed the dire effects of this criminal dastardly act of terrorism....

More to follow

No comments: