Friday, July 24, 2015

E.L. Doctorow passes: One of my favorite authors (1931-2015)

He had the marvelous facility of transporting me back in time to the Bronx of my youth, the East Tremont Avenue of the 1940's with full rounded characters that roamed, breathed and possessed the streets of my youth.


 E.L. Doctorow (1931-2014)
Courtesy of Wikipedia


He will be remembered for his many novels including Ragtime (1975), Billy Bathgate (1989) and World's Fair (1985). 


I recently read World's Fair and here is my review.(click Here)

Kudos to Random House which published a full page notice in the New York Times, Thursday, July 23, 2015. After referring to him as BELOVED AUTHOR AND FRIEND, the ad goes on to quote George Saunders' accolade, from the citation for the 2012 PEN/SaulBellow Award for Achievement in American Fiction:

"We salute him, and we thank him
for his courage, his playfulness,
his fire; for reminding us with 
every book that language is 
infinite, and essential. What 
an inspiration and an astonishment
to see how much beauty can be
 made by one amazing artist." 

No comments: