Monday, October 24, 2011

The Cellist of Sarajevo: A Book that flew off the Library Bookshelf



Lately, I've come across a number of excellent reads which I will share with you.

What is amazing is how I discovered them.

On two occasions, I was merely dropping off library books that were (over?)due. Then suddenly as I exited, a book suddenly caught my attention.

It was as if the book was saying to me: ''grab me, take me home, you won't be disappointed."

And true to form, I was not disappointed on the last two occasions.

The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway is war fiction at its best. And it is a very fast read.

The novel is in part about the inspiration that a cellist gives to those who have chosen to remain and and retain possession of their once beautiful city.

Set against the backdrop of the siege of Sarajevo, the story mainly details the lives of four individuals who are surviving-- as snipers rein down ammo upon them from the hills surrounding the city.

Arrow is one of them. She kills a sniper whose mission it is to kill the cellist. (The latter plays his instrument daily late in the late afternoon at the location where mortar shells killed 22 people who were on a bread line.)

The book depicts the the humanity of the quartet as they go about their tasks -- ducking bullets-- as they transport water, bread and other essentials in a city where the majority of buildings have been turned into skeletons.

It is a must read!

No comments: