Friday, August 5, 2011

Newfield Avenue's Fixture: A Horse with No Name; Close-up on Stamford

The Anonymous (no name) along Newfield Avenue
(his left foreleg has been strapped up) 


The White Horse first caught my attention as I did my shopping at the Grade A market at Newfield Greens Shopping Center.

Every morning, I would espy the horse with western saddle on the left side of the Sunoco gas station,

And I would dream about mounting him--as all things western are a passion of mine. I  imagined that I would sit astride the saddle in my western regalia, boots, buckskin, Stetson and all; then I'd be photographed for a picture to be used on my Facebook homepage.

My fantasy was not meant to be.

Today, I spoke with Ron, whose father had established the station and acquired the horse with no name. I was crestfallen as I heard  that the ceramic horse has a 'broken' leg.

 However, Ron was kind enough to photocopy a Stamford Advocate article published over 20 years ago detailing the history of the horse with no name.

The horse was acquired about 35 years ago by George, Sr. as he was heading north on route 301 in South Carolina and stopped at an " establishment that was selling out his goodies, ornamentals and stuff. I was just going to look."

He was offered the horse at a good price and so purchased it; instead of renting a trailer, George, Sr. had the horse hoisted into his motor home and lugged 'old no name' back to Stamford. Subsequently, "He bought a saddle during one of his second-hand forays."

For about 5 years the horse decorated Sr.'s front lawn. But then the two sons, who also owned the gas station, wanted it to adorn their work property and so old 'no name' has been a fixture along Newfield Avenue ever since.

Every morning Ron wheels out 'no name' where he proudly serves as 'neighing' mascot to the neighborhood.

No comments: