Friday, July 22, 2011

Carmegeddon in Los Angeles: Reflections on Driving the 405 from Woodland Hills to Santa Monica and beyond

California Route 405 as it winds through the
Sepulveda Pass

This past weekend of July 15 and 16, a 10 mile stretch of Route 405 was closed from San Fernando Valley down to Santa Monica on the west side of Los Angeles.

This was done in order to demolish a section of the north side of the Mulholland Drive Bridge, which is one of the overpasses slated to be rebuilt. This is part of the $1 billion Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project; a high occupancy vehicle lane is slated to be added.

There were predictions of a 'carmeggadon' in the LA Basin with approximately 500, 000 drivers scrambling for alternative routes to  get around.

No such event transpired. As a matter of fact, Los Angelino's heeded 3 months of warnings and refrained from using their cars.

The 72 mile freeway is arguably the most picturesque and busiest route in the country- especially the section that gradually climbs to the top of the Sepulveda Pass as it cuts through the Santa Monica Mountains.

I should know--in other words I drove this congested artery nearly on a daily basis.

 While living in Woodland Hills in the San Fernando Valley in the mid-80's, I would commute to  Long Beach, Torrance and points south almost on a daily basis.

What vivid memories I have of the diurnal commute.

The weather would be always overcast in the valley (and later turn to smog as I entered the LA basin)

 I would start out fresh at 7-7:30 AM. and enter Route  101 at Topanga Canyon Blvd. and merge onto the 101 South. Traffic would be moving at about 20 MPH for  the 8 miles until I reached the ramp to enter the 405 South. At this point, I would merge into traffic moving even slower-perhaps 15 MPH.

I could not really appreciate the spectacular view of the Mountains and the Getty Museum as I would wind my way up to the Pass.  On most days it would take me about 1 hour to cover the 18 miles that would take me past Brentwood adjacent to Santa Monica.

The next leg on my journey was the 5 mile span of highway that would take me past Los Angeles Airport.  Well, all I can say.....is that by the time I would reach the Airport, I would be jumping up and down in my seat to keep my eyelids open.

Invariably, the combination of the heavy smog, the dismal bumper to bumper 5 MPH traffic, the monotony of the now 1.5 hour journey would lull me to sleep.

For some reason, the traffic would begin to flow faster (up to 30 mph) as I headed south to Torrance.

I would reach Torrance after a 2 hour journey--in time for a cup of coffee and a brisk walk--ready to start my day.
Image source (1)

No comments: