Tuesday, August 31, 2010

New Milford, Connecticut: Sports One of the Largest Village Greens in New England



A business trip to New Milford brought me to its historic downtown area and nearby Candlewood Lake.

Wow, was I in for a number of surprises.

The town sits in a natural bowl surrounded by the rolling hills of Litchfield County, has the Housatonic River flowing through it and possesses the largest area (at 62 square miles) of any town in Connecticut.

And to my delight, New Milford sports one of the largest, most beautiful village greens in New England!

Bank Street-which runs down to the river and the railroad station- in the historic downtown area has lots of gift shops, cafes and restaurants. (I recommend lunch at the Daniels Dining Car Restaurant around the corner at 46 Railroad Street. It's where the locals eat and has great sandwiches and salads.

As I walked down Mill, I was struck by the many foxy looking ladies going to work.

The residents are most friendly; Outside Roger Sherman's residence along the towns greens, I struck up a conversation with a middle-aged lady, who grew up in town, left for job as a FBO operator upstate New York, grew bored and returned 10 years later.

You must move up here, she kept insisting. That's a tempting invitation.

And if I did, I would be joining others who live and have lived nearby: Henry Kissinger, Bill Blass, TV's Bob Costas and Roger Sherman, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

No comments: