Monday, February 15, 2010

A Tribute to the American Quarter Horse in the Tehachapis

The American Quarter Horse, shown above, is an Incomparable Effortless Competitor


It was truly a memorable riding experience and it took place nearly 25 years ago at the Bit- n- Spur Stables located in the Tehachapi Mountains not far from California's scenic Route 5, less than 120 miles Northeast of Los Angeles

Here , I rented a retired racer-- a quarter horse by the name of Johnnie. I rode him for about two and a half hours which presented to me one of the most pleasantly indescribable scenes of life in the saddle.

For 2.5 hours, I forgot I had reins or boot heels. Because I did not have to use them.

I became a horse whisperer.

There was an immediate bonding of rider and equus. If I told him 'walk' he would walk; if I told him to trot, off he would go trotting. Then I would softly whisper to him 'whoa, boy' and instantly he would brake to a walk and then miraculously stop.

The trails wound up and down the barren, late fall tawny hillsides that brand Southern California and there weren't any other riders with whom to share the trails. Just steed and rider.

"Run boy," I called out and immediately, he would slip into second then third gear and we broke out into a gallop. This was no ordinary gallop where I would feel the up and down motions, the clash of hoof upon rough terrain directly tranmitted to my frame.

I felt at first, like I was floating, then gliding from one wave top to the next, as if I was transported from crest to crest, on my own magic carpet--he must have had some heavy duty shock absorbers to cushion even the slightest vibrations.

Oh, what a feeling it was.... and the sensations linger on a lifetime.

Enjoy this PBS video on why the quarter horse is built for speed. 

No comments: