Monday, January 25, 2010

The Decade That 'Was": My 9/11/2001:

At about 8:30AM, I left Fort Lee, New Jersey with my Horizon food truck bound for the company office up in Rockland County in New York State. I was driving on the Palisades Interstate Parkway on this clear day with my AM radio tuned to 1010 Wins New York. Suddenly, the all- news broadcast was interrupted by a message that the World Trade Towers had been hit by a Jet passenger plane. I immediately pulled off the Interstate to one of the scenic rest stops along the Hudson River and cast a long glance down to the city to witness a tall column of smoke covering lower Manhattan. When I arrived at work, all the salesmen were watching a 12 inch color TV covering the story. We all decided not to call on clients that day.

The next day brought me and my truck to Tenafly, New Jersey, an affluent bedroom community for New York City. It was mid-afternoon and I called on two homes. In the first home, a high school student answered and told me her father had not come home the night before. I made up some type of apology and then called on her neighbor. A woman came to the door and told me her husband was missing and she could not deal with me now. Again my apology to her.

I slinked back to the truck buried my head in my hands and cried and cried and cried, which must have lasted 10 minutes. I did not go back to work that day or the next.

No comments: